1. huevos rancheros
huevos rancheros is the epitome of a good brunch. there’s nothing better than sitting next to a sunny window and tearing off bits of toasted tortilla to eat the filling with.
it might be the perfect breakfast food.
here’s how you make it.
- package of extra firm tofu
- red chile sauce
- 2 tbsp hummus
- pinto or black beans (you can prepare your own, or organic canned is fine.)
- 4 medium sized red potatoes
- olive oil
- so delicious cheddar cheese shreds (click the name for a link.)
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, diced
- mccormick steak seasoning. just trust me. (click the name for a link.)
how to make it:
1. heat olive oil in two medium sized skillets. it’s really important to make sure the oil is HOT before you put anything in, otherwise nothing gets crispy. add the diced potatoes in one skillet, and the onions and garlic in the other. wait 2-3 minutes before stirring to get the ingredients to caramelize.
2. drain the tofu and wrap in paper towels. lightly push on it to get out the excess moisture. add it to the onions and garlic. stir the potatoes in the other pan.
3. warm ya’ beans in a little sauce pan. don’t burn em. add some salt and pepper if they’re out of a can. (ain’t no shame in that, i do it in a pinch.)
4. put the hummus, oregano, some salt & pepper, and 1-2 tbsp. of water in a little dish. whisk with a fork until spreadable. add it to the tofu as it starts to brown and STIR. or it’ll stick to the pan.
5. stir the potatoes again, and cook them until they get a nice even brown on all sides. when they’re soft, turn the heat off and add the mccormick seasoning. turn the tofu off, set aside.
6. gas stoves are the best for crisping tortillas. just throw one right on there, and turn frequently. you wan’t to crisp it until there are little spots that are nice and brown. if you don’t have a gas stove, turn the broiler on in the oven, and put it on the oven rack for about 4 minutes. watch it so they don’t catch the apartment on fire. *i’ve never done that before...*
7. put the crisped tortilla on a plate, and put some potatoes, beans, and tofu on top. add cheddar shreds, sliced avocado, and red chile sauce. enjoy with cup of coffee, orange juice, and good company.